Memorial Day is a time to honor the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives while serving in the U.S. military. It’s also a time for barbecues, picnics, and family get-togethers. However, hosting a Memorial Day party can be costly.
If you’re on a budget but still want to celebrate, Portage Bank has some tips for planning a memorable and affordable Memorial Day party.
- Set a budget: Start by determining how much you can afford to spend on the party. This will help you prioritize what to spend money on and what to cut back on. Be realistic about what you can afford and stick to your budget.
- Host a potluck: Instead of providing all the food and drinks, ask guests to bring a dish to share. This not only helps save money but also ensures that everyone gets to enjoy their favorite foods. You can even assign dishes based on the guests’ preferences or ask them to bring something related to the theme of the party.
- DIY decorations: Instead of buying expensive decorations, make your own. You can create a festive atmosphere with homemade banners, flags, and centerpieces. Use inexpensive materials like construction paper, string, and fabric to create patriotic-themed decorations.
- Shop smart: Look for sales and discounts on party supplies and decorations. You can also find affordable items at dollar stores or discount retailers. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns and colors to create a fun and eclectic look.
- Use reusable tableware: Instead of buying disposable plates, cups, and utensils, use reusable ones. Not only is this eco-friendly, but it also saves you money in the long run. You can find affordable reusable tableware at discount retailers or online.
- Keep it simple: You don’t have to go overboard with food and decorations to have a great party. Keep the menu simple and focus on grilling burgers, hot dogs, and chicken. Offer a variety of salads and sides that can be made in advance. For decorations, focus on a few key elements, like a banner or centerpiece, that can make a big impact.
- Have fun with games and activities: Instead of spending money on entertainment, create your own games and activities. Set up a cornhole tournament, have a water balloon toss, or play a game of frisbee. These activities are not only fun but also encourage guests to interact with each other.
By following these tips, you can plan a memorable Memorial Day party without breaking the bank. Remember, the most important thing is to spend time with loved ones and honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
In light of Memorial Day, protect what you have by investing in your future. Now is a great time to invest in a Money Market Account.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Portage Bank today!